International Moon Day Group
The United Nations approved the creation of the International Moon Day (IMD) as an annual educational, cultural and scientific event. The International Moon Day is to be observed annually on 20 July to raise awareness among the public and generate support for sustainable Moon Exploration and Utilization. The International Moon Day encourages and promotes events around the globe on 20 July, including community panel discussion, lectures, webinar, concerts exhibits and screening of educational videos.
Because MVA has been an early advocate of the International Moon Day celebration, MVA is taking the initiative to organize its implementation. IMD is fully in line with MVA mission and objectives to promote the development of lunar exploration in addressing the largest public, scientific, educational, industrial communities. This effort is considered as a Project of MVA, and an International Moon Day Group (IMD-G) is created. Its missions are :
- Define the categories of events which would be eligible for IMD celebration.
- Establish and coordinate a network of National and Regional Coordinators, which will be the local relays stimulating the creation of IMD events in countries. This network shall strongly rely on the MVA Global Network and the SGAC network.
- Create public relation material to explain the goals of the IMD.
- Create an IMD website to promote the celebration of IMD, record IMD events, and inform the various communities about their holding. An Internet domain name has been bought by MVA : internationalmoonday.com and internationalmoonday.org.
- Find partners and sponsors to support financially the general management of the IMD celebration, as well as specific IMD events.
- Inform regularly UNOOSA about its plans and the progress of IMD celebration as UNOOSA will create their own webpage dedicated to the IMD as for other celebrations.
The IMD-G will be led by a Secretariat, comprising a Chair, and Executive Secretary, a Media Coordinator, and a Coordinator for the IMD National and Regional coordinators Network.
The IMD-G will be supported and monitored by an Oversight Committee and a Board of Advisors.
CSEO and MVA
The Cyprus Space Exploration Organisation is opening this call, in cooperation with the MVA, for applications for the position of “International Moon Day– Executive Secretary” (IMD-ES)
As IMD-ES, you will contribute your passion, drive, ideas and expertise to organize the International Moon Day while taking on immediate and significant responsibilities.
In addition to learning on the job, you’ll partake in a variety of educational, social, and professional development workshops and events that will accelerate your professional growth while learning about MVA, CSEO and the international space and high-technology sectors.
You’ll also get the chance to engage with a network of space professionals around the world creating new activities and projects educating the public and bringing awareness to the fascinating subject of Space Exploration.
This position will be based at home and it will not require travel, at least for the first 6 months.
The initial contract will be for six months, but it could extended for longer periods
As IMD-ES you will use social media and emerging technologies to help raise public awareness about the IMD activities.
CSEO is a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other as an integral part of CSEO’s culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunities employer and a great place to work. Join us and be part of achieving CSEO’s and IMD as well MVA’s vision and mission.
- Interacting with the world’s leaders in defining the common level playing field for future lunar missions
- Working in an exciting nurturing environment of knowledge and inspiration.
- Being part of the future by getting involved in both CSEO’s and MVA’s space goals.
- A monthly salary for the role – amount to be confirmed based on skillset.
- CSEO Complimentary Professional Membership for the duration of position offering all the benefits and opportunities available to the paid Professional Members such as: Access to exclusive talks/lectures from visiting dignitaries not available to the general public media or to free CSEO members.
The Executive Secretary of the IMD Group is a full time paid position (40 hours/week), the salary scale will depend on the candidate experience.
He (she) will be in charge of the day-to-day operations, in particular through the following activities :
- Plan the activities and allocate the tasking to individual members of the IMD Group,
- manage the general schedule towards the IMD celebration date,
- manage the issuing of the planned deliverables
- prepare the IMD-G meeting,
- provide a monthly progress report to the Chair of the IMD Group, the MVA President and Oversight Committee.
He (she) will be also responsible of the fundraising activities, with the support of the Chair of the IMD Group when needed to address potential sponsors.
- Full Professional Proficiency in English
- Project management skills for at least 5 years
- Fund raising skills
- Familiarity with United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Use of Outer Space (COPUOS)
- Good industry and accademia network
- Pro-active character
- Interest in Outreach
- Team spirit
- Readiness to support calls at times different from normal working hours, in view of the global reach of the activities
The Executive Secretary will be selected by the Chair of the IMD Group, with the involvement of the President, after an open external call.
If you feel like this is the position for you please submit your CV and a short introductory letter with your motivation statement through the form below
Application Deadline: 23:00 CEST, 31 January 2022,
Interviews Period: 3-9 February 2022
Documentation: CV, Motivation Statement/Letter
Position Starting Date: 21 February 2022 or earlier
Virtual Location: CSEO Office, Nicosia
Renumeration: Monthly salary (to be defined by skillset and experience)